Novant Health Prince William Medical Center's Student Nurse Internship Program enables nursing students to:
- Observe the provision of patient care in several clinical units
- Gain a deeper understanding of nursing practice in an acute care setting
- Develop critical thinking skills
- Learn in a supportive environment
- Work with a trained registered nurse (RN) preceptor
- Participate in educational sessions on a variety of clinical issues and professional development topics
- Assist the student nurse to adapt to the role of graduate nurse based on observation experiences at Prince William Medical Center.
- Discuss RN role responsibilities in a variety of patient care settings
- Identify general principles of patient care delivery models and the organization of care
- Identify how to establish patient care priorities and manage time effectively
- Define personal strengths and set goals for continued learning
- Observe how to utilize resources for solving clinical issues to meet patient care/family needs
- Enhance clinical, communication and teamwork skills using an interdisciplinary approach.
- Seven-week program: May 30 to July 12, 2013
- Junior or senior nursing students will rotate within hospital and shadow a RN
- In the shadowing role, the student nurse does not provide clinical skills
- Learning based on observation
- Participate in new employee and general nursing orientation
- Student nurse will be preassigned to a unit
- Student nurse will be given own password for electronic access to patient records to enhance his/her learning experience.
Participating Clinical Areas
- Emergency Services
- Critical Care
- Medical Surgical Unit
- Operating Room
- Post Anesthesia Care Unit
- Post Partum
- Progressive Care Unit.
Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be eligible for a stipend in the amount of $1,500 to continue his/her education paid directly to their educational institution.
Application Process and Eligibility
- Application available online: click here to download
- Student must be a dependent of a Novant employee, physician or auxilian in the Northern Virginia Market
- Student must be in their junior or senior year of a nursing program (or have completed at least their second year / entering third year of study)
- Application includes essay outlining the student's interest in the program and how this opportunity will be valuable in studies and future nursing career
- Completed application must be received by March 1, 2013 at the address below. Applicant will be notified in writing of acceptance or denial. Funding begins for the fall semester.
Prince William Medical Center Foundation
Nurse Internship Program
8700 Sudley Road
Manassas, VA 20110
- A selection committee comprised of hospital leadership and nursing staff will evaluate all applications
- Applicants will be selected based on meeting eligibility requirements and their essay
- Four students will be selected for the 2013 program
- A $1,500 stipend will be awarded to each student's school at the beginning of the fall semester after successful completion of the program